Wednesday 16 June 2010

Collections


Understatement: I love collecting

Example: stones ~ preferably rounded and smooth
My sister Jenni watching me find yet another special stone to bring home! photo by Alice



Inspiration: Kettle's yard, Cambridge

photo by Ingrid


"On Castle Street in Cambridge, is a beautiful and unique house containing a distinctive collection of modern art. Kettle's Yard was founded by H.S. 'Jim' Ede as a place where visitors would 'find a home and a welcome, a refuge of peace and order, of the visual arts and of music.' " 
If you are near Cambridge this summer I hope you can visit this unique home and art gallery too.


Inspiration: 'My Bombay Kitchen' by Niloufer Ichaporia King

My Bombay Kitchen: Traditional and Modern Parsi Home Cooking
In this treasure of a cookbook the author describes how her mother would choose a stone that fitted her hand and use that as the simplest of garlic crushers.

It was on the beach at Dunwich in Suffolk, Uk 
that I found my garlic crusher and now use it here in Beijing.





Wish for you today: to find a round stone on a beach or river bed near you.
(No beach? Find images that bring the idea closer to you)





Footnote: Flying back to Uk tomorrow -
so hope to collecting stones by Sunday as I walk on the Suffolk coast 
and breathe deeply the clean air.

2 comments:

Saxongirl said...

And if you find a stone with a hole in it (there are rich pickings on the Suffolk shoreline), remember to make a wish!

Red Red Completely Red said...

Lovely inspiration! That spiral of rounded stones is beautiful. Perhaps you'll have room in your suitcase for a Norfolk stone for us?

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

You may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...