Friday 8 October 2010

I think I'm going bananas!

If life gives you too many old bananas
Image by Stefan Sagmeister

 ... then make banana bread
Here are three I made earlier. 
Just need Goldilocks to pop by...
Oh Alice just popped by instead and has snaffled the little pink one.


If you feel like baking this weekend I recommend my recipe from The Mixer Bible - 
with variations by me!
Just find some ripe old bananas and you're ready to go.

Banana Bread
  • Half a cup of sourcream and milk (up to you the proportions but the more sour cream the yummier)
  • 2cups of flour (plain/all purpose)
  • 1 cup of sugar (white and sweet)
  • 1tsp baking powder
  • 1/2tsp baking soda
  • 1/2tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup of softened butter (220gm for the rest of us)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 very ripe bananas
  • 1 cup of walnuts/pecans 
  • 1 tsp cinnamon ( oh dear I just realised as I typed - forgot that this time!)
  • I added a few drops of real lemon essence, or you could add lemon zest. I like a bit of zing!
Method:
  1. Sift flour, cinnamon, baking powder, soda and salt together.
  2. In a food mixer bowl mix the sugar and butter (with a flat beater if you also have a Kitchen Aid - mine's red!) Speed 2 , or slowish and beat till light and fluffy.
  3. Add eggs and beat till combined. If the mix looks a bit curdled add some of the flour to get it back to normal.
  4. Beat in the bananas - (if they are not over ripe, then mush them in a bowl first). Add lemon zest if using.
  5. Alternately add some of the flour mix and some of the cream/milk  - till all is mixed in, with the mixer.
  6. Mix in walnuts.
  7. Bake at 180C for 45 - 60 minutes. (The little pink one took just 15 minutes)
  8. Cool on a wire tray.
  9. Invite all the bears in the neighbourhood round for tea.
I doubled up the mix because I had 5 very ripe bananas to get 3 loaves. I also added a couple of egg yolks left from making meringues. 
That's what I love about this recipe - it lets you play around and still turns out great every time.

To serve just fish out your Royal Copenhagen cake plate and all is good!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can confirm that it is a great recipe. Thank you for everything.

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

You may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...